May 10, 2011

England, day three


Yesterday i was finally able to see Beatrix Potter's Hill Top (thank you Eileen!!!). I have the book 'At Home With Beatrix Potter', so i did knew what it would be like inside. Though the rooms and the cottage where smaller than i thought. Somehow i just felt her in the rooms, imagined her writing on the desks, especially on the one table which we saw when we came in the cottage. taking water for a tea by the fireplace. She had collected such a beautiful old pottery and beautiful old furnitures, every piece was special. Me and Eileen wandered over an hour in the cottage, looked every bits and pieces. I got such a warm feeling in the cottage and it must have been such a happy place to live in. the garden was wonderful with all sorts of cottage garden plants and a vegetable garden where tiny rabbit was eating; perhaps one of the little flopsy bunnies...
now when i look at the Beatrix's story books i notice familiar places on them.

 After we left from Hill Top we took a walk to a small lake in Tarn Hows which Beatrix Potter bought and she discovered Jeremy Fisher in there. The actual lake was man-made before Beatrix bought it, such a beautiful place still.

We visited also Hawkshead to have a tea and looked the original Beatrix Potter storybook paintings at the Beatrix Potter gallery, how beautiful the paintings where and they looked like they would have been painted just yesterday with vivid colors and amazing details!









































p.s. thank you all for your lovely comments, it is lovely to read that you have enjoyed to see them!

13 comments:

  1. How cute are those black lambs!!! Your photos are wonderful Delila-especially the inside of the cottage...so so cute and cosy! Enjoy,Debbie . p.s. another lovely package arrived safely today,thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am enjoying the series of photos so much! I am very happy that you got to go on your dream vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And again...I am so glad you are sharing. I've been to England once but not as far north as you are. I am so enjoying your travelogue. Every morning I open up your blog, sit and drink coffee and travel along with you. It's been wonderful.

    Cheers,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a dream to be there at Hill Top. I adore Beatrix Potter, and her stories. Her life is truly an inspiration, as she overcame obstacles to be a landowner in a time that women did not do that sort of thing. The photos of her farm, cottage and surrounds are perfect. How precious the little rabbit in her garden. Thank you for this wonderful post of your visit!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely pictures...i want to visit England too..

    ReplyDelete
  6. truly beautiful photos, i just want to be there myself, thank you for showing them.
    Pixie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ihanii kuvii!! :) Toi on varsinki ihana toi hiirien nukkekoti. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. This must be a dream come true for you. I know how much you love Beatrix Potter (don't we all?). Thank you for sharing your beautiful photographs.

    Colette xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! You are so lucky to be there. It's like a fantasy land of beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aaaahhhhhh, thank you so much for the beautiful memories... and how lucky you have a great tour guide with you as well! :)))) Beautiful photos.
    *sigh* Makes me want to go back. :)))))

    ReplyDelete
  11. Still journeying with you.... and can't wait to visit Beatrix Potter's place myself someday! What a cute lamb with black snout.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a wonderful tour of Hill Top, Delila, and I know you will return there in your mind for years to come.
    xx
    julie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello, Delila :). Nice to meet you, what a pleasure to have found your blog, just a moment ago!. I think you have a darling blog. I love Beatrix Potter too, when I started painting again ... I did lots of Beatrix friends' watercolor cards, I surely believed that I was Beatrix incarnated!. LOL. Anyway, I would love to come visit here again. Bliss!.

    P/S: I've pinned photos from here too, I hope you don't mind. I'm swoon. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete